Spring cleaning is special. Just about every culture makes spring cleaning a thing, and for good reason. There’s something about spring that gets people in the mood to clean. This is when you shake out dust and grime from places you haven’t paid attention to in a while. As spring warms up, we’ve put together some essential spring cleaning tips to use.
Get down to the nitty gritty with these spring cleaning tips:
- Assess your belongings and pack those winter knick-knacks and clothes away for next year, and make way for spring’s new hues.
- Approach your overall house cleaning in small doses. Try working in manageable 2-3 hour blocks of time, first tackling the rooms that contain the most wintery effects (like that front closet with your winter coat).
- Get lean and green. Out of respect for your home and your health, why not go green and use non-toxic cleaners? Products like Seventh Generation and method, and are widely available at everyday stores, or – with just a few common household ingredients – you can create your own green cleaning products by following this helpful tutorial.
Don’t forget to add these items to your spring cleaning checklist:
- Swipe your phone: It doesn’t matter if you swipe left or right, as long as you swipe it clean sometime this spring. There’s yucky stuff on there that you can’t see, and you’re bringing it all into your home surfaces every day. You don’t want to grab just any disinfectant wipe. That can do some damage. Instead, fill a small spray bottle with equal parts water and 70% isopropyl alcohol. Spritz it and wipe clean with a microfiber cloth.
- Sock away dusty blinds: You look through them every day, but may not see them. Chances are if you haven’t dusted your blinds in a while (ever?) they’ll have accumulated a layer of yuck. It can be intimidating to face a time-consuming task of dusting hundreds of slats, but we found a fun approach to try. First, mix up your favorite clear. Then, slip a sock over your hand like a sock puppet, dip it into the cleaner and “mouth” away the grime on the blinds.
- Deep clean appliances: Just because you use your dishwasher and washing machine all the time doesn’t mean they stay clean. You’ll be surprised how mucky they can get inside if you’re not paying attention. Here are some tips on cleaning your dryer and those stainless steel appliances.
Now that everything’s clean, why not add a bunch of flowers, throw pillow or other spring touch to your home?